Tuesday, October 6, 2015

This Is My Fight Song

If you have not heard this (Fight Song by Rachel Platten) song please take the next 3 and a half minutes doing so.  (Uploaded from YouTube)


"Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me" 

- It been a while since I have updated and quite a bit has happened.

In early August I was in the hospital, once again.  However, this seemed to be a good and bad experience all rolled into one.  The bad was that I ended up the the Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU), the good is that they were able to find the bleeding in my lungs and did a procedure called Arterial Embolization to help stop it.
As you know I have been dealing with coughing up blood for some time now.  As uncomfortable and somewhat painful as it is to experience, it is more frustrating because nothing seems to help.   We had tried this procedure a few times before and without success the Interventional Radiology team ultimately decided unless they knew exactly where the source of the blood was coming from, they wouldn't touch me again.  This time as I was actively coughing up blood leading into the procedure and then during the bronchoscopy (a procedure where they send a camera down into my looks to get a better look at what is going on down there).  This time they had it on film and knew exactly where it was coming from.  New blockbuster??

A week after the procedure and I was feeling much better and discharged from the hospital.  I was able to return to school that week.

In fact it was a crazy few days.  I was discharged Monday evening.  Tuesday and Wednesday I was packing my entire apartment up to move on Thursday.  Thanks to Aunt Patty, my mom and dad- we made the transition all the way down one flight of stairs.  :)
Thanks to my amazing guy friends, Jack, Perry and Lambert for being my muscles and helping me move all the heavy stuff.
We finished moving stuff around 11 on Thursday night and then Friday morning Dad picked me up to go the my brother, Jack's best friend, Mike Luzzi's wedding.  Jack stood up and looked so very handsome.  It was great to get together with friends and enjoy a night out after the previous two weeks.  My dancing took a hit but I had my date, Thomas-the oxygen tank, to aid me when I needed it.




It has been almost 2 months since I was in the hospital last and I would like to keep it that way.  I did however require IV antibiotics but I chose to do them at home and was fortunate enough to do that.  I have been able to remain in school and on Wednesday it will be the first time in YEARS that I did not miss one day of class!!!! (Nevermind the fact that these are only 8 week long classes, one day a week)  I even went when I had fevers and felt sick, but wanted to finish for once.  (Don't worry, I know my fevers are related to CF and I am not contagious)

In the mean time lung function is stable, however the blood has returned.  I have to just get used to it because there is no other option at this point.  It is frustrating and prohibiting my life in many capacities but as stated in the title of this post, This Is My Fight Song.  I will do the best I can and just keep chugging along.




No comments:

Post a Comment